ISDCF Forum

A public forum to discuss ISDCF topics.

Get assistance with and learn more about the proper creation of Digital Cinema Packages (DCPs), Key Delivery Messages (KDMs) and other digital cinema content.

Moderator: jamiegau

By Carsten
The naming convention and other ISDCF documents contain references to version file handling and aspects around file/folder arrangements for DCPs, but I have never seen a decent documentation about dealing with complex multi-version DCPs, e.g. those with multiple languages, 5.1+7.1, 3D + 2D,captions, etc.
In theory, this is all easy to explain.

When ingesting real life content, though, the projectionist needs a high degree of, let's call it intuition, to find and select the right content. It's nearly impossible to teach staff this in a formal way. This very often leads to either missed/incomplete content ingest, or a pragmatic 'ingest everything' approach, filling up servers quickly.

I remember specifically BigHero6, whose drive contained an overwhelming number of versions on different levels. I wonder what rules mastering studios follow to create these? Wouldn't it be useful to shed some light on complex packaging, recommendations, etc.?

- Carsten
BigHeroIngest1.png
BigHeroIngest1.png (20.68 KiB) Viewed 14334 times
BigHeroIngest2.png
BigHeroIngest2.png (24.53 KiB) Viewed 14334 times
BigHeroIngest3.png
BigHeroIngest3.png (9.77 KiB) Viewed 14334 times